My Liquid Lipstick Collection of 2015

5:55:00 PM





Nothing is more in style in beauty this decade than liquid lipsticks- other than maybe Instagram Brows. However, the formulas can be very tricky, and sit differently on everyone. Dry lips, beware: you'll need a good round of lip scrubbing and moisturizing before giving them a go.

   I actually really enjoy the doe foot applicators commonly used in liquid lipsticks, like lipglosses. They allow you to fill in lip corners and bows with more detail than a lipstick bullet, and have more control than a lip brush. They take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you may end up really liking them.

  The formulas of liquid lipsticks themselves are very unique: going on like a creamy lipgloss, and often drying partially or completely depending on the finish. A good formula will last most of the day with needing only small touch-ups, and won't flake off or cake up.

  This past year I've tried several different kinds to see what I like best. I myself have dry lips, so very dry formulas can be difficult. Here's what I have so far, swatches, and mini reviews.








Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick

Undoubtedly one of the most popular products right now, KVD has come out with tons of colors in the range and keep releasing more. I have a hard time choosing which to get!

Notes:
I find that each lipstick I have tried has a very different formula. Berlin so far has proved the best: I completely forget I'm even wearing anything on my lips, it's so smooth. Vampira is a bit patchy, and the others can flake or cake a little bit, but nothing too bad. Lolita is one I wish I could love. If you have followed the KVD brand for awhile, you know that it has changed shades several times, having started out as a very pretty pink color. The one I have looks very, very dark and brown on me. There seems to maybe be two or three different versions of it.

Pros:
Long-lasting
Easy to use
Wide color range
Comfortable

Cons:
Darker colors can be patchy
Can wear off at the center and flake
Many shades bleed without lipliner





NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream

These aren't noted as liquid lipsticks, but I consider them one. These are great if you don't like the dryness or commitment of a full liquid lipstick.

Notes:
These are super creamy and buttery, and have a nice sugary smell that isn't too overly sweet. They don't dry totally matte and budgeproof so they don't last quite all day, but I find that they don't cake up when I have to reapply. They are also excellent over lipliners. Istanbul is my favorite as a nice almost nude pink when I want color but nothing too much.

Pros:
Comfortable
Easy to use
Non-drying

Cons:
 Not long-lasting
Darker colors may bleed




Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor

These are quite new on the market so I picked two to try. For some reason the look very orange in the tubes in my photos, but are definitely not. Drugstore brands are finally hopping on the liquid lipstick trend and I'm excited to try out more.

Notes:
These keep a finish like a thicker or slightly drier lipgloss, depending on how thick you apply them. A thin layer will be more dry, where as a thick layer will stay more glossy. The visible finish is a medium matte. Seduction surprised me; it's a really gorgeous nude color for fair skin. Love I'm not as impressed with; the color just doesn't suit me very well and is like a mix of coral and red.

Pros:
Creamy
Good lighter colors

Cons:
Darker colors may be patchy
Not long-lasting








Lunatick Cosmetic Labs Apocalipslick

Note that these aren't currently available on the site, as the brand is reformulating their products (I have a review on Lunatick earlier on my blog as well). I think these were actually the first liquid lipsticks I ever tried.

Notes:
Extremely smooth formula and beautiful colors. The finish is quite glossy, but can be blotted or powdered for a more matte look. Coven Cream is absolutely dreamy; great on many skin tones, especially as a cool-toned nude for fair skin.

Pros:
Smooth and creamy
Beautiful color range
Comfortable

Cons:
Bleed without lipliner
Can be messy




Have you tried any liquid lipsticks this year? How did you feel about the dryness and finish?



xx,
      Charity

You Might Also Like

0 comments